The Weekend

July 2nd, 2012 ksgall13

This weekend here in New York has been exactly what I’ve needed. All I really needed was a day and night or three without needing to be anywhere or have anything to check off on one of those “I’ll just get it done tomorrow” checklists. Despite it being extremely hot and not having a beach to cool off at, it was a great feeling to make it home on Friday afternoon with an open schedule for the weekend. That night we were able to meet up with a ton of people from Holy Cross (including my roommate and his brother) in some of the Midtown bars and even had a few unexpected encounters with some other familiar faces. The night turned out to be a pretty good one, but the next day ended up being even better. It was great to walk around the city in a more relaxed state without having to worry about getting lost or buy any necessities. I happened to stumble across the Brooklyn Bridge for the first time ever (5 minute walk from my place) and made the trek across, but only half way of course. I recommend walking across the bridge to anyone that hasn’t done it yet for an extremely good view of the river and more tall buildings.

Later on we made it out to a club in the Meatpacking District and it turned out to be pretty fun but expensive, especially since one of my best friends from home was able make it over for the night.

After eating breakfast around 3p.m. the next day we were able to make it to Central Park for the first time of the summer and my life (I kid you not). I found it amazing that despite being surrounded by all of the concrete of the city, a person really can lose themselves inside the park and even pretend they’re in a different place. At least that’s what I did.