Week 4

July 14th, 2012 ksgall13

I don’t think I can ever remember time passing this quickly, but I’d rather have it pass this quickly than at a painstakingly slow pace. I’ve been in New York for just about a month and have been able to explore many of the different neighborhoods that make up the city during both the day and night. Out of the places I’ve managed to see in Manhattan so far, the Nolita and the Greenwich Village areas have been my favorites in terms of the style of the buildings and the general atmosphere that exists there.

Missing the Mediterranean!

I’ll be the first to admit that I happen to be a night owl and as soon as the sun goes down, a little light bulb flickers on in my head and gets me started up. One thing that I’ve absolutely loved is the feeling of the streets of Manhattan at nighttime. The only way I can describe it is that it seems like there is some sort of electricity present; the air feels alive at night.

The other day I was having a great conversation with one of my supervisors as we got off the subway in the Bronx and I started to look around and really think about the neighborhood we were in. Over the past few weeks I’ve come to love working in the Bronx. Aside from having some rough neighborhoods, one thing that I constantly see is happiness in its simplest form. While walking in the streets, I receive tons of smiles from the people I see and make sure to shoot one right back at them.  Despite being surrounded by poverty, there seems to be a feeling of general positivity and sense of community, which is something I feel that Downtown Manhattan could improve on a little bit.

In addition to that, the food is amazing and CHEAP! (Note: I’m biased because I love any kind of Latin American food and happen to speak Spanish).