Marinna’s Visit!

August 13th, 2012 ksgall13

As I start up the last week of my internship, I find it hard to believe we’re at this point. I’m not sure whether or not this is part of getting old and growing up or just how this city works; it’s like time is playing a game of hide and go seek with me. As I wrote in a previous blog entry, I lived in Spain with an amazing host family for the past year leading up to this summer. My Spanish ‘sister’ and I had spoken about her making a possible visit to New York by while we were living together, but nothing was set in stone. One day after we were eating back in the springtime, she burst into our apartment with a huge grin and said (in Spanish obviously) “See you in August”. Well, August finally came and ended up bringing my Spanish sister along for the ride!  She spent the past 5 days here and it turned out to be one of the best parts of the summer. It was interesting to see how a foreigner reacted to being in NYC (she had been here once before). The colossal buildings and stifling summer air gave way to her excitement, which remained at the same level from day one until she left.

In addition to being happy to see her, watching her enthusiasm and genuine delight while being here sparked a little bit of excitement in myself. Aside from having a great friend with me, one of the most important things I took from her visit was that I now looked at NYC from a different perspective. This new perspective wasn’t one where I was tied down to a limited amount of time here, but rather one that allowed me to truly appreciate what makes the city such an amazing place.