1 Week Down, A Summer To Go

June 23rd, 2012 ksgall13
After surviving the first week, I can safely (and proudly) say that I really like it here. I’m starting to get used to the pace of life, which is the polar opposite of that of Spain, and getting a feel of the different places all around the city. I’ve been able to make it to a few happy hours with some friends from Holy Cross and last night met a good high school friend for a long-overdue dinner. That being said, there have definitely been some ups and downs, as always when moving to an entirely new place. But, time to learn from the downs and look forward to bigger and better things for the rest of the summer!

One of the best parts about this first week has been my role at Part of the Solution. My coworkers have made me feel right at home and are making the time very enjoyable. They’ve been giving me legitimate tasks to do, not just busy work they don’t have time for. So, I’ve been able to learn a ton already. Whether they have me running through Manhattan or Brooklyn by myself, or talking directly with different clients in the Bronx, there’s always something interesting and substantial to do. Already, it’s given me confidence in knowing that I can be trusted to be independent, and take care of these responsibilities without any problems.

Tonight, I made it to the Fool’s Gold Records Artist Series at their shop in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and it was good to see something a little bit different. It was a photography exhibit at their flagship record shop run by the artist A-Trak, and turned out to be a pretty cool night that sparked my creative side. Right now, I’m in the bus back to Atlantic City ready to celebrate my birthday with all of my friends from home.

Kevin Gallagher '13

• Studies: Economics major with a concentration in Latin American and Latino Studies
  • Hometown: Northfield, N.J.
  •  
  • Read more about Kevin »