Week 4

July 14th, 2012 ksgall13

I don’t think I can ever remember time passing this quickly, but I’d rather have it pass this quickly than at a painstakingly slow pace. I’ve been in New York for just about a month and have been able to explore many of the different neighborhoods that make up the city during both the day and night. Out of the places I’ve managed to see in Manhattan so far, the Nolita, Chinatown, and the Greenwich Village areas have been my favorites in terms of the style of the buildings and the general atmosphere that exists there.

Missing the Mediterranean!

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m naturally a night owl and as soon as the sun goes down, a little light bulb flickers on in my head and that gets me started up. One thing that I’ve absolutely loved is the feeling of the streets of Manhattan at nighttime during the summer. The only way I can describe it is that it seems like there’s electricity everywhere; the city’s air feels alive at night.

The other day I was having a great conversation with one of my supervisors as we got off the subway in the Bronx and I started to look around and really think about the neighborhood we were in. Over the past few weeks I’ve come to love working in the Bronx. Rough neighborhoods included, one thing that I constantly see is happiness in its simplest form. While walking in the streets, I receive tons of smiles from the people everywhere and make sure to shoot one right back. I feel welcomed. Despite being surrounded by hardship, there’s a feeling of general positivity and, more importantly, a sense of community that Downtown Manhattan lacks.

In addition to that, the food is amazing here and CHEAP! (Note: I’m biased because I love any kind of Latin American/Caribbean food and luckily speak Spanish).

Kevin Gallagher '13

• Studies: Economics major with a concentration in Latin American and Latino Studies
  • Hometown: Northfield, N.J.
  •  
  • Read more about Kevin »