Paris in New York

August 6th, 2012 ksgall13

The one word I could use to describe this week would be… French. I experienced first-hand the overflowing influence of French nightlife in New York City. It turned out to be exhaustingly action-packed, in the best way possible. After some extensive exploring and games of trial and error, it seems that I’ve finally discovered places that I truly enjoy being at.

In short, we refreshingly overdosed on the newish Parisian nightclub, Le Baron, located in a quiet Chinatown neighborhood. From the outside it doesn’t seem like much; only a black awning covering a red door. Inside: the best house party you’ve ever been to (on a weeknight, nonetheless) with a room full of strangers, downtown creative types, smiles, laughs, sunrises, and music straight from Kitsuné compilations courtesy of DJs from the group Le Tigre.

Later that week, I learned that one of my favorite producer/DJ groups, Jupiter, happened to be in New York for some parties. The coed duo from Paris had one scheduled at a venue in Williamsburg, and I knew I wouldn’t be able to pass it up. I sometimes forget that Europeans really do have a later time schedule for, well… pretty much everything. But was quickly reminded when they started their set at around 2:30. Between the fun and energetic crowd, great mixing from Jupiter, and lots of house and disco, the night turned out to be one of my favorites in New York so far.

https://soundcloud.com/wearejupiter/jupiter-vs-kassav-kass-limon

Kevin Gallagher '13

• Studies: Economics major with a concentration in Latin American and Latino Studies
  • Hometown: Northfield, N.J.
  •  
  • Read more about Kevin »