Marinna’s Visit!

August 13th, 2012 ksgall13

It’s hard to believe we’re at this point, the last week of my internship. I’m not sure whether this is just part of getting older or just how this city works. As I wrote in a previous blog entry, I lived in Spain with an amazing host family for the past year leading up to this summer. My Spanish ‘sister’ and I had spoken about making a possible visit to New York, but nothing was set in stone. One day after we were eating back in the springtime, she burst into our apartment with a huge grin and said (in Spanish), “See you in August”. Well, August is finally here and it brought my Spanish sister along for the ride!  She spent the past 5 days here and it’s turned out to be one of the best parts of the summer. The colossal concrete buildings and stifling summer heat gave way to her excitement, which remained at the same level from day one until she left.

In addition to being happy to see her, watching her enthusiasm and genuine delight sparked a little bit of excitement in myself. Aside from having a great friend with me, one of the most important things I took from her visit was that I now looked at NYC from a different perspective. This new perspective wasn’t one where I was tied down to a limited amount of time here, but rather one that allowed me to truly appreciate what makes the city such an amazing place.

Kevin Gallagher '13

• Studies: Economics major with a concentration in Latin American and Latino Studies
  • Hometown: Northfield, N.J.
  •  
  • Read more about Kevin »